The Styling Life Today method of home organising which literally applies to any space you are trying to bring order to involves the following Empty, Sort, Categorise, Contain & Label. By following these 5 steps you are on your way to creating an organised, functional & stylish home.
Full Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links which means that when you click on these links and buy something, I may earn a little commission but it does not affect you in any way. I only recommend products I myself love, know about and/or have purchased before. I may have been gifted some items for review but please note that all of the opinions are 100% my own 😊 Here is my full disclaimer
The SLT Method
When you start your organising project, select a space and follow our method:
- EMPTY the cupboard/ closet/ space – take everything out. Start with one cupboard or drawer at a time. Getting everything out at once will overwhelm you and creates more of a mess. Most organising projects end at this stage if not started correctly.
- SORT the contents into 3 piles: bin, keep and donate. Look at each item and decide if you like it, use it, need it and whether it brings you joy. If you haven’t used or worn it in the last 12 months you don’t need to keep it. Another question to ask yourself is if you lost it would you buy another one? If the answer is no, the bin or donate.
- CATEGORISE the items in the “keep” pile into the relevant categories and keep like with like. This ensures each item has its own department or category and makes organising it and setting up your organisational systems much simpler.
- CONTAIN the newly created piles and items in a bin, basket, container etc. Select the right type of storage solution for your items, depending on your desired style e.g. wood, plastic, clear, coloured, white, slide-out, stackable – the options are endless. See some of my favourites below.
- LABEL each organising bin, basket, drawer solution – this makes returning each item back into its place easier and maintains your systems. It helps the rest of your family know where to return the items to, and of course, it doesn’t hurt to have stylish and pretty storage solutions.
Home Organising Solutions
What are your favourite home organising storage finds?
Be sure to share these tips with your friends by using the share buttons below.
Til next time